Friday, November 11, 2011

Review ~ SHIFT(SHADE, #2) by Jeri Smith-Ready

Shift (Shade, #2)
Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.

Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.

As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart. (From GoodReads)
I have a really dramatic statement to make. I know, you're shocked, right? But honestly, I think Jeri Smith-Ready may kill me one of these days. Seriously. Her books completely break me down and leave me red-faced, bleary-eyed, and yet, oddly happy.

I loved, LOVED book one of the series, SHADE. One of my favorite books, ever. So, when I started to read SHIFT, I realized I left my book at home. My home was twelve hours away! It was too late to go to a bookstore, so I did what any book hungry girl would do and bought it off of iBooks. Thank the good Lord for technology because, let me tell you, I needed that book and I needed it yesterday!

I am so, so happy that I took that I let my impatient nature take over. SHIFT could not wait. Nuh uh. The book literally continues at the exact moment SHADE ended and takes off running.  Aura, the possible catalyst for the shift phenomenon, is still torn by her love for what she had, Logan, and what may come, Zach.  Can she let Logan go? I don't know that I could. Can she grab her chance at a future with Zach? I hope so. See? I just made two contradictory statements. That's the beauty of this series. There is no black and white in this world.  Anything, ANYTHING is possible.

Now for the most important, debatable subjects of the series, Logan and Zach. Those two make me crazy and sometimes I want to bitch-slap them for the craptastic moves they pull on Aura. But, here's the thing. They are teenage boys. They make stupid, impulsive decisions just like any teenage boys. Sometimes they are ruled by hormones, sometimes they're just idiots. That is the beauty of Logan  and Zach. They are bonehead teenage boys sometimes, and you love them anyway. And occasionally, those two make a beautiful gesture or decision that will take your breath away. For the record, I'm still Team ShadeBoys. You can't force me into choosing a team. YOU CAN'T!

Here's the point, I guess. One of the girls from Fictish Delish (I hardly ever know if it's Amy or Jen, but they're both awesome!) asked me how I felt after reading SHIFT. I wanted to say what I really felt, but was afraid I would creep someone the heck out. But I thought, "These people get it." So I said what I really felt and I'm quoting: "I LOVED IT! I want to cut open my chest, put these books inside and carry them around with me. I'm weird that way." To which she said, "See, to us that just doesn't seem weird. Doesn't everyone want to do that?" So, are we weird for being this passionate about this series? Maybe. Do the books (and author) deserve that kind of passion for writing books that rock our world? Definitely.

Just a warning, I may not survive SHINE. For real.

Favorite Quote ~
I started looking over the quotes I bookmarked, and of course I couldn't choose just one. I also started crying, of course. And I know I say that I'm Team ShadeBoys, but all my quotes are about Logan. Hmm...

"Just be here. Tonight, tomorrow night, whenever you need a quiet place to rest."

"I thought of what Logan and I had shared last fall, and the way his face had looked tonight onstage, as
 a ghost and as a human. Some of the best days of his life were after his death."


Hardcover, 367 pages
Published May 3rd 2011 by Simon Pulse 
You can find SHIFT at:
GoodReads  |  Book Depository  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Amazon  |  Constellation Books (where you can get a signed copy!)

7 comments:

  1. First off, you will survive Shine.. if you dont, I wont have anyone to talk to.. so you will survive and you will be tweeting me from your puddle of tears. lol

    I have to read this one.. but like we discussed, I want the matching set, so it will have to wait. :)

    I wonder if I'll be pulled more towards logans side in shift. I think I will still love zachary more.

    I'm most excited to learn more about how Aura is connected to the shift.

    love the quotes.. that's one of my fav things about your reviews is the quotes you drop at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all people who read this series feel like that. It's a constant roller coaster for your heart. You're happy, sad, torn and in love with two boys right along with Aura. I can't rave enough about it and whenever anyone asks me what they should read, I recommend this series (Actually, I more gush until they promise they'll read it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must be some series if you don't think you'll survive reading another book in it! You're making me wonder what's going on in this world that I know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That good huh? I have that on my bookshelf waiting to-read...now I need to move it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your review! I absolutely loved this one. I wish I could get everyone to read and love this series. It's amazing! Both books have had me bawling, so I imagine Shine is going to just TEAR ME UP! Love your heartfelt review! :)


    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally said I love your review twice ahahahahha WHICH MEANS I REALLY DO! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, my name is Silmara, I live in Brazil and I love the trilogy Shade, I recently bought the book shade here in Brazil, I love Logan more account you have no idea, I learned that it does not end with the Aura :/
    Could you please send me by email as he ends the book?
    My email is silmara_teca@hotmail.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post