Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Letter Review ~ The Truth About Forever, by Sarah Dessen

Sixteen-year-old Macy Queen is looking forward to a long, boring summer. Her boyfriend is going away. She's stuck with a dull-as-dishwater job at the library. And she'll spend all of her free time studying for the SATs or grieving silently with her mother over her father's recent unexpected death. But everything changes when Macy is corralled into helping out at one of her mother's open house events, and she meets the chaotic Wish Catering crew. Before long, Macy joins the Wish team. She loves everything about the work and the people. But the best thing about Wish is Wes—artistic, insightful, and understanding Wes—who gets Macy to look at life in a whole new way, and really start living it.
~From GoodReads

Dear Sarah Dessen,

Where have you been my whole life??!!

Seriously, this is one of those "it's not you, it was me" situations. I've spent the last several years reading almost only young adult/adult paranormal books. I thought a Contemporary Young Adult book couldn't possibly hold my attention. I needed the fang, the venom, the curses and spells and, well, you know what I mean, right?

But after years of looking at your books and thinking "Looks good, too bad it's not my type", I took what thousands have been saying about your books to heart, and I took a chance. I am so happy I finally wised up. I loved each and every character in this book: Bert, and Kristy, and Delia and Monica (Donneven), Macy and Wes. The Truth About Forever was beautiful, wistful, poignant, life-affirming... I could keep going, but you've heard all of this before. You're Sarah-freaking-Dessen!

If your other books are half as brilliant as The Truth About Forever, consider me a fan for life. I'm buying all of your books ASAP. Thank you. Thank you for writing books about endearing, slightly broken, charming, wonderful characters.  Books that I will be so happy to share with my daughter one day (b/c really, I am not letting her read the Night Huntress books, uh-uh).

I guess what I'm trying to say, in my own rambling way, is The Truth About Forever was amazing.

Thank you,
Andrea, a passionate reader

Favorite Quote:

"We sat there, looking at each other. It was warm out, the fireflies sparkling around us, and he was
  close to me, his knee and mine only inches apart. I had a flash of how his hand had felt earlier, his
  fingers closing over mine, and for one crazy second I thought everything could change, right now, if
  only I could let it. If he'd been any other boy, and this was any other world, I would have kissed him.
 Nothing would have stopped me." ~pg. 246

You can purchase The Truth About Forever at:
Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | Amazon

9 comments:

  1. lol, this letter to the author.... adorable. Will be back on my lunch break for a longer more thought out comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. I like your letter to the author. I find myself doing the same thing. Looking at books thinking it sounds good, but not reading it. I have not read much contemporary, so I tend to not pick them up even if they do sound great. I think I will give this book a try. Thanks for the non-review review of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many people rave about Sarah Dessen! I haven't read any of her books yet but I do have one at home. Great review Andrea!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just so glad you love her! She was what got me into reading in middle school. I could not put down her books at all. You should really read her books in the order she published them because the one thing I love most about Sarah is that she always finds a way to tie her books together. It can be a restaurant or a location and it is always fun to see because then you get to remember her past books and characters. She is amazing. [:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have read this book if it weren't for my wise and wonderful friends, too! Really liked the book and really liked your "letter" review. :)

    Hello from a new follower, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, love how you wrote this review as a letter! =)

    I'm in the same boat as Giselle, I still have yet to read a Sarah Dessen book, but after reading your review I think I shall pick one up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm back, and I still think this post is super cute. :)

    I have been looking at these books, and thinking hte same thing, how they might not hold my interest.. but comtemps have been surprising the heck out of me.

    If I get some gifts cards for christmas, I'll have to order this one. or I'll just order it after the holidays. I dont know why I have never read her stuff before.

    and I love her covers.. the are so cute.. the just ooooze sweetness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could have swore that I already commented on this one! Weird! Maybe I'm just imagining things! Great review! Sounds like you really loved it! Maybe I'll check it out.

    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'The Truth About Forever' is a novel by award-winning author Sarah Dessen. I truly enjoyed this book, and give it five out of five stars. Macy Queen has the perfect life. She has two successful parents, a great house, a track career, and a Dad who means the world to her. This all falls apart when Macy's dad suddenly dies while doing the morning jog, with Macy witness to the whole ordeal. Traumatized by his death, Macy ostracizes herself from the world.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post