Friday, January 17, 2014

SEXY SATURDAYS: LAID BARE by LAUREN DANE









Sexy Saturdays with Andrea and Autumn is a weekly meme created to spread the word about spicy reads. 
 

Participating blogs:
Way Too Hot Books


**If you would like to participate, let us know and we will happily add you on.**



Laid Bare (Brown Siblings, #1)Series: Brown Siblings #1
Genre: Erotic Romance
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Publication Date: 8/4/09
Format: Kindle
Pages: 336
Source: Purchase
Rating: 4.5 stars



Unexpected Desire...

It's been ten years since clean-cut, sexy-as-hell police officer Todd Keenan had a white-hot fling with Erin Brown, the provocative, wild rocker chick next door. Their power exchange in the bedroom got under his skin. But love wasn't in the cards just yet...

Now, life has thrown the pair back together. But picking up where they left off is tough, in light of a painful event from Erin's past. As Todd struggles to earn her trust, their relationship takes an unexpected and exciting turn when Todd's best friend, Ben, ends up in their bed--and all three are quite satisfied in this relationship without a name. As the passion they share transforms Erin, will it be enough to help her face the evil she thought she had left behind?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6100797-laid-bare?from_search=true
 
 

Laid Bare is an intensely thoughtful and sexy story. Lauren Dane has taken the naughty and "forbidden" ménage and created a story that was full of love and acceptance. It made me think and it made me feel.


A few months ago I took a chance on jumping into the Brown Siblings series. Honestly, I didn't know much about the series, but I follow Dane on social media, and love how she challenges outdated thoughts on gender and sexuality. Plus, she's very witty. Taking that chance paid off, because I adored Drawn Together. The hero Jonah was very Alpha, and very loving; completely dedicated to making his lady happy and whole. Raven was a tough and loving heroine who also possessed a hard exterior. I love that Raven made no apology for who she was, and even when she submitted to Jonah in the bedroom, she was never portrayed as weak. It was an excellent book, and looking back on it, I wish I'd given it five stars instead of four (which I am changing).

It would seem that Dane is consistent with her strong heroines, because we have another in Laid Bare's Erin Brown. Another consistency I found was the dominant and loving hero in Todd Keenan. These were characters who I found myself drawn to for many reasons. They were sexy and strong, loving and gentle when needed. Their story begins ten years prior, with Erin completely self-possessed and Todd struggling with his wants and desires. This leads them to drift apart, only to run into one another ten years later. Erin's world was destroyed, with her struggling every day to heal. Todd is now ready for Erin, but must prove himself worthy of her love and submission.

As the relationship progresses and strengthens, the two form a strong bond with Todd's best friend, Ben. This relationship spins into a unique new formation, with Erin falling in love with Ben and Todd equally, and them both loving her. Ben also loves Todd, and as time passes, Todd finds himself learning that his love for Ben has formed in new ways as well. On the outside, this relationship is unconventional, but for these three strong and loving partners, it's beautiful and it works.

Personally, I feel that I would have a most difficult time of sharing with a third person. I am selfish that way. Laid Bare made me think a lot about the dynamics-good and bad- of a triad relationship. I love books that challenge me in that way. In the end, it's not for me to put myself in the situation, but to enjoy the experience of reading. And I did, so much. Dane's writing is gorgeous, the prose makes my brain happy and drunk on her words.

Laid Bare solidified what I suspected, I am a sure fan of Lauren Dane. I look forward to continuing the Brown Sibling series with Coming Undone.



 
Favorite Quotes:
 
   She opened her eyes and looked up at him, her lips swollen and wet. "Tell me. What do you want, Todd?"
  He panted as the words threatened to break through. He wanted to say them, but the darkness in them wasn't something he was used to letting free.
 
 
  "Don't run from me. I'll come for you. I want you and you want me. Let yourself have it."
 
 
  To Erin, D/s wasn't about one person being worthy of a capital letter and the other not. It wasn't about unequal worth; it was about two equals sharing power, sharing sex and emotion. She didn't submit to him because she wanted to be debased or harmed, because she needed to be lesser than anyone. She was aware that some people got off on that, and hey, whatever floats your boat. But when he dominated her, she felt cherished and adored, cosseted in those perfect moments between them--in a way she never achieved with anyone else.

 
 
 
The Brown Siblings Series
 
Laid Bare (Brown Siblings, #1) Coming Undone (Brown Siblings, #2) Inside Out (Brown Siblings, #3) Never Enough (Brown Siblings, #4) Laid Open (Brown Siblings, #5) Drawn Together (Brown Siblings, #6)
(covers lead to GoodReads page)
 
 
Purchase Laid Bare
 
Purchase Coming Undone
 
 
 
 
 
Lauren DaneLauren Dane has been writing stories since she was able to use a pencil, and before that she used to tell them to people. Of course, she still talks nonstop, and through wonderful fate and good fortune, she’s now able to share what she writes with others. It’s a wonderful life!

The basics: Lauren is a mom, a partner, a best friend and a daughter. Living in the rainy but beautiful Pacific Northwest, she spends her late evenings writing like a fiend when she finally wrestles all of her kids to bed.
  

Website  |  Twitter Facebook  |  GoodReads
 
 
 
 
Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I don't know if I could handle a triad. But I haven't really read about it besides the contrived ya triangle, which doesn't really count in this sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it like that, but yeah, not a triangle at all.

      Delete
  2. I love your review! I'm not into relationships like this and reading about iy isn't my thing either but they sound well written and steamy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It's really not a lot of readers' cup of tea. I feel that way about HS student/teacher books.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful review, Andrea. I love strong heroines - especially when they're submissive in the bedroom. :) And, of course, I love me some Alphas. ;) It seems as though Dane does a tremendous job of writing her characters. And I love that she made you really think with Laid Bare. I don't know that I could ever be in a triad but I certainly don't mind reading about them. Thanks for sharing about Dane, girl. I'm gonna be picking up her books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Dane's books as much as I do!

      Delete
  4. I really need to read this series, it sounds right up my alley. I love how strong the characters sound gosh I am swooning. The cover art? so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read one novella by Dane and it was amazing. I definitely want to read more.

    I always have a hard time with menage stories though. I've read a few that were written really well and I'm not against it but I always feel a little jealous on someone's behalf lol It's just not for me and therefore hard for me to read. But maybe I haven't read the right one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dane is a great writer. Even if you don't read this, you should try the other books in the series. I've heard that Never Enough is amazing.

      Delete
  6. I love a sexy Alpha male but I'm not a fan of multiples in bed. This does sound like a hot read and I love that cover! Wonderful review, Andrea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. You should maybe try some other books in the series.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an interesting book. I can't imagine having three people in a relationship...but I like how they book has them ALL liking each other, and not just the boys liking the girls and the girl liking the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, look at those cover arts! It makes me want to get a tattoo LOL

    I love strong heroines, I can appreciate a vulnerable heroine but I can't stand weak characters because they get easily manipulated and abused esp by the people they love. Thanks for another rec, I will take the time to check this out this year, this book for starters is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like books that challenge my thinking too. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story sounds so hot! I love alpha males, and strong women! This story would make me think too, but like you, I wouldn't be able to share! Awesome Review!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review!! I love this series!!! The spin off series is just as good!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post